Pardon for the late post, but I was HANGRY. I was precisely one inch from randomly clubbing a stuffed baby seal just so that someone could feel my rage. So I filled a giant box at Whole Foods with somewhere around the gross national product of a third world country’s amount of costly salad and shoveled it my pie-hole faster than Newt Gingrich left his ailing wife for a hot blonde.
Speaking of heat. Do you like caramel corn? -I promise, I do occasionally make a smooth segue, this just wasn’t one of them.
I love caramel corn, but I get a bit bored with it at times. It’s a definite MUST for the holidays, but I am forever looking for ways to jazz it up a bit. Since I am in love with everything spicy, I decided to give it a little bit o’ heat. The end results were fantastic. I had to take it to my husband at work to share with his other cop peoples just so that I wouldn’t sit and devour the entire damn portion all on my own. I took a basic caramel corn recipe I have used for years, originally found on allrecipes.com and made it my own.
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 quarts popped popcorn (no salt no butter)
- Preheat oven to 250F
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, on med-high heat the butter, sugar, and corn syrup until no crystals are left.
- Reduce heat to medium low and boil for 5 minutes without stirring
- take off of heat and whisk in remaining ingredients
- on a SILPAT OR SPRAYED FOIL LINED baking sheet, evenly pour caramel over popcorn and stir gently
- bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- let cool and break up for serving.