I wasn’t originally sure I was going to blog today or not, but there are a few things about Hurricane Sandy that should be said.
1. To the amazing staff of NYU Hospital, the nurses, doctors, and techs that worked through the night to secure the safety of their patients when they were forced to evacuate the hospital, you are incredible. To all of my friends who work there, drinks are on me, you know where I live, you know I have beer. We’ll drink like we’re once again undergraduates.
2. To the NYPD and FDNY who are still working like crazy to help those who need it, thank you.
3. To the jerks who thought they could ride it out or drive through water, who ended up needing rescuing, you’re an asshat. I’m glad it’s a misdemeanor here in NYC. You were told.
4. To the people who lost their lives, homes, are losing their homes, and have sustained a lot of damage, I am so sorry for your loss.
5. To NYers in general, we’ve been through worse, we got this. Hey, the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel just got a power washing!!
As for me and mine, we weathered the storm quite well, a chicken was roast, much television was watched, many hands of spades were dealt. More than our fair share of beer was consumed. I got surprisingly little reading done as I was with friends the whole time….I plan on reading more today, AND hitting my gym. gods how I need to run like the wind.
Hug your family, be grateful for what you have, love and cherish your friends, say thank you to all the civil servants who make this world livable.