Barking Quietly

This is the post that I thought would never be. This isn’t because it’s focused on some really deep, introspective subject that I didn’t quite know how to put in words, though that’d be a better excuse. It’s because I stared at the computer screen for several hours last night, in quiet amusement that I had positively nothing to talk about. I found this amusing, because, if you know me, you know I am rarely at a loss for words, or inappropriate jokes. I’m positively full of both.

Not today, people! I think I may be reduced to guttural noises and quiet barking to get my point across today. Loud barking would just be weird.

You see, I get a lot of emails from blogging. Emails from readers, from companies that want me to review their stuff, from many foreign princes that assure me they have wealth beyond measure if I just help them get to it… It’s a lot of letters. Last night, however, I got one of my favorite/least favorite types of email: hate mail..

Ok, maybe it wasn’t “hate mail” as much as “judgmental mail”. Hate mail would be something like “I hate your stinkin guts. I hope you have a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.” Instead, judgmental mail is more like this….

“How do you expect to maintain your weight loss if you are constantly posting dessert recipes and talking about the wine you imbibe? Shouldn’t you be a better role model for those in the process of losing a massive amount of weight?”

I admit when I falter. Chinese New Year+the Peanut getting sick led to some unfortunate weight gain. However, in a few weeks, I’ve already taken off four of those pounds. If I didn’t occasionally treat myself with sweets, I’d be a raving lunatic. Also? I joke about wine a lot because I love it. However, I haven’t actually had anything to drink in at least a week. (I don’t track how many days exactly, I don’t need a chip; not that I knock anyone who does.) I also thought I was a pretty good role model. I FLOSS DAILY. Yeah, you heard that. I FLOSS.

I could rant and rave and tell you how it’s all about moderation, but that’d be a big, fat, lie coming from me. For me, it’s all about eating healthy almost all of the time, and occasionally eating a slice of pie and a glass of wine, chasing it with a giant latte. One meal or one dessert doesn’t make my week a screw up. If I have to push a bit harder in my workout? The pie was most often worth it. If it wasn’t? I’d not have taken a second bite.

Even the parties I plan for my kids have a ton of healthy options, and a really decadent dessert. I find that if it’s pretty enough, people don’t notice it’s not fried in sin. It’s really all about presentation. Sort of like my bras; wrap em up high and pretty, no one will notice the actual boobs. I hope. That’s what I tell myself.

This Saturday is my Peanut’s first birthday party. I am not much of a party planner, but I am good with food. Thank the Lord I have friends like Jenn who can help me with ideas for the actual party.

Yesterday, I was nailing down and trying out recipes for finger foods and came up with these healthy babies.

Miniature Greek Stuffed Peppers

Stuffed with tons of flavor, these little peppers are tiny bites of Heaven. Kale, dill, and lemon marinate with feta to make your guests’ mouths water. Can be made a day or 2 ahead and kept in fridge.

Miniature Greek Stuffed Peppers

by Cat Tan

Keywords: raw appetizer side salad gluten-free kosher low-carb soy-free vegetarian red bell pepper spring

Ingredients

• 12-15 mini bell peppers
  • 1 cup reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
  • 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1 cup kale chopped very small
  • 2 tbsp chopped dill
  • fresh ground pepper
  • red chili flake to taste

Instructions

mix the kale with the lemon juice and mustard and let sit 15 minutes

stir in remaining ingredients, save for bell peppers

stuff mixture into bell peppers and serve

Powered by Recipage
Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Barking Quietly

1. bah judgement. I like a good debate but the snideness of emails like that make me want to scream. I’ve got your back chica and find you to be an excellent role model. For fucks sake you do floss! who flosses?

not me. apparently I’m unfit to be a blogger ;)

2. Nicole says:

Um, HI. Whoever wrote that email is a food Nazi, because even people who are trying to lose weight (actually, ESPECIALLY these people) need to find ways to enjoy a little treat without it completely fucking everything up. I’m like you…I’d rather save my splurges for a bowl of ice cream and a glass of wine after dinner. In fact, I try to bank my calories so I can do JUST THAT on most days of the week (although that does translate to light ice cream and a SMALL glass of wine, I’m ok with this).

Except for the last three days. Whoof, I’ve been eating crappity crap.

Anyway. You ARE a role model. You’ve accomplished great things, don’t let it get you down.

3. nicole says:

Love this pepper idea. I think my husband would love them too. I love your honesty, inappropriate sense of humor and your occasional indulgence in wine and chocolate..guess what…it’s what makes you a REAL person!

4. Beverly says:

I actually LOVE that you keep things real around here. That’s what keeps me coming back day after day. Just keep doin you, Cat! You are an amazing role model :)

5. I try to think about how badly someone must feel about themselves, in order to spread their negativity to strangers on the internet. Honestly, if they don’t like the dessert posts, then don’t read them! And you are always posting healthy, nutritious recipes. This is a balanced healthy living blog, not a deprivation blog! Try not to let it bring you down, because that is exactly what they wanted and you are too good for that!

6. I love all mini, finger food.
    Who takes the time to write that kind of an email? Are they really that influenced by everything they read/interpret on blogs?
    You have inspired me to floss today. Not joking. I really will do it.

7. Meaghan says:

You are one of the few fitness bloggers I actually read because you do keep it real. The only people that have no distractions, only healthy food and 10 hours a day to exercise are on Biggest Loser and that is some kind of crazy. Most of us have to figure out how to make fitness and healthy living work with our lifestyle and you are a great role model for that. I read your blog for recipes and tips and as a reminder that if I get a little off track, I can fix it tomorrow. I don’t come to this blog to do everything you do so if you post a recipe for brownies, I don’t think well sh*t now I have to eat brownies. Some people need perspective, it’s not about being perfect it’s about finding balance.

8. Deetz says:

pbthhhhh! to the haters :p Obviously the writer of that email had some super duper control issues. I wish I could floss everyday. But sometimes I just stand in the bathroom and look at it and think “I’m not doing it today.”

9. Ohhh yes – I have received emails of that sort though they usually go something like “You are a dietitian and you are eating THAT”. Umm yea back off! I am sure my haters are especially loving my post today that included me scarfing my face off for E’s birthday lol. Oh well you can’t please ‘em all. Plus, I’d rather be -real- with people than hide behind a wall of fake posts.

10. Jackie says:

Life isn’t about being on a diet. It’s about being healthy.

When I was pre-op and a lot bigger, I would eat a package of cookies..or a whole pizza..or a large bag of chips over the course of the evening. For the first year, when I lost most of my weight, I didn’t eat these things at all but as time has gone by, I do. BUT there’s a big difference between a bag of chips vs a handful – two small cookies vs a package.

Life is too short to eat kale and quinoa all the damned time. Labeling certain foods as “good” or “bad” is not healthy. Moderation is key to everything, including eating!

11. Carol says:

Bah to hate mail. I love the energy you bring to your blog. Keep going just as you are :-) Carol

12. Ahhh yes.. hate mail. I think everyone gets it, no matter what.. Some people just have nothing better to do than send other people hateful comments & mail.
    On the bright side, those stuffed peppers look great!

talk foodie to me...