I hate it when the “Today Show” anchors interview each other about their own pet projects. It’s seven minutes of “you’re awesome”; “NO! You’re awesome!!” I am surprised they don’t look like Bella after her honeymoon with Edward with all the back-patting that’s going on. I would love it if some crabby old man would come on to interview them. Someone call Andy Rooney…wait.
Now they have a guy on making fruitcake. I don’t care where you’re from, no one eats that crap. If the 3 Wise Men had brought baby Jesus a fruit cake, first-they’d be none too wise–raisins are a choking hazard, second, Baby Jesus would re-gift it.
My goal is for everyone to EAT and ENJOY what I make. That being said, people are generally hot or cold about gingerbread cookies. I like them, but the captain does NOT. I HOPE you like them, if not, I’ve made 17 other cookies, try one of those.
Batch 18. Gingerbread Buttons adapted from this recipe.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- add in egg yolk and molasses and whip until light
- sift in dry ingredients and mix until well blended
- cover and chill for 45mins to an hour
- on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough until you reach 1/4 inch thickness
- using opposite sides of a small cup, cut out a circle and place onto a parchment lined sheet.
- using the bottom of the same cup, press into the center of the cookie to build the edge ridges of the button.
- Using a LARGE straw, (like that for a venti drink or large drink at Starbucks or Dunkin) punch out the eyes of the button, if the straw gets gummed up, snip it off with a pair of scissors.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
Tonight is BodyPump and Spin. (I am still not allowed to run-fooey.) I am really looking forward to the pump, but I miss getting my run on. I am finding other forms of cardio get really boring to me. Not being able to run is bringing out my crazy in a bad, bad way. Perhaps if I had some fluffy slippers with slick bottoms, I could floor skate in my house. I liked that a lot as a kid. Maybe I’ll go old school, or maybe I’ll just stock up on magazines and hit the damn elliptical.
What is your workout today?
Ever been out of commission for any extended period of time?